Monday 7 March 2011

Progress.... finally

Having well and truly shaken off the winter cobwebs, I feel a blog update is long overdue. I'm delighted to report that I've been back on the road for a few weeks now, and that my training is well and truly back on track. It's still not exactly balmy out there, but the purchase of a pair of tights has helped get me back outdoors and away from the dreaded turbo trainer. It's a sad day indeed when a grown man buys himself a pair of tights, but needs must! The last two Saturday mornings have been great, I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed them. A lot of that is down to a cracking wee route I've found, details of which are below:


This route has everything a decent training run needs: decent road surfaces, the right amount of hills, great scenery and minimal traffic.  Most importantly it's restored my appetite for training, so it's now just a case of building up the mileage.


Progress has also been made on the sponsorship front. I'll post details as soon as they're available, but I'm delighted to announce that we'll be raising funds for the Highland Hospice. It's a great cause that means a great deal to both of us, so fingers crossed we can raise a fair amount of cash to help support the fantastic work they do.


In the mean time, preparations will continue for our training weekend, which will be taking place in the Lake District during the last weekend in April. The aim is to do three days at just under our intended LEJOG pace, which will hopefully give us a pretty good idea of where we stand. It'll also give the two of us a chance to get used to cycling together after going at our own pace whilst training. Fingers crossed the weather holds, and that the Lake District climbs don't destroy me! Again, I'll post details once everything's finalised.


I'll leave you with a view of the Crow Road, which has come right at the start of my last two training rides. Despite being 2 miles of nausea inducing misery, I can't help but include it in most of my route plans.


First the tights, now an appetite for gruelling climbs: the 'roady' mentality is really taking hold...


Cheers for now. 


The Crow Road - it's my Alpe D'Huez!

No comments:

Post a Comment